YOG Communications Manager
Department: Corporate Comm. & Public Affairs Dept
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland
Contract Type: Open-ended
Activity Level: 100%
Entry Date: 15.01.2021
Determine and implement the YOG communications strategy and oversee its associated budget. Manage the YOG promotion project and conduct associated media relations activities
Determining and implementing the YOG Communications and local youth engagement with third parties Strategy/Budget
Under the guidance of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Corporate Communications Director, the Head of Olympic Games Communications and in collaboration with the Youth Olympic Games Organising Committees (YOGOC) and within the IOC, the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) Unit, the Media Operations section of the Olympic Games Department, and the Digital Engagement and Marketing Department (DE&M), as well as IOC Television and Marketing Services (ITMS), Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) and Olympic Channel Services (OCS), ensure the formulation of the overarching communications strategy, the corresponding action plans and budget.
- Formulate and implement the on-going communications and local youth engagement with third parties’ strategies, action plans and budget for YOG including the transition period of the postponed YOG Dakar 2026 and Gangwon 2024
- Act as the focal point for integration regarding communication topics within the IOC and with its partners (OBS, OCS and ITMS)
Working in close collaboration with the YOGOC, the YOG Unit and the DE&M department to implement youth related programmes around the Youth Olympic Games: audience segmentation, situational analysis of host regions, digital/media/social integrated strategies, messaging, measurement and metric setting.
- Contract and budget management related to corporate communications work
- Staffing related to corporate communications work
- Coordination with the DE&M Department, which is responsible for all digital and social implementation
YOG communications project management
Corporate communications point of contact around key milestones and events (Executive Boards, Sessions, Coordination Commissions, Project Reviews, internal meetings) and preparation of relevant material and corporate communications activities.
Lead cross-functional team collaboration and communications programme delivery pre- and during Games Time:
- Regular communications updates to all levels of the organisation, alignment calls (IOC and YOGOC), working group(s)/Task Force(s) coordination
- Stakeholder management: YOGOC communications and different level of Government entities within scope of YOGOC, as well as any YOG related corporate communications agency contracts
- Business To Business (BTB) editorial oversight
- Crisis communications
- Contracts and procurement re. relevant suppliers and agencies (excluding DE&M contracts and procurement)
- Planning and management of Games-time resources for corporate communications to ensure objectives are met.
YOG communications reporting and financial management
Responsible for reporting results around key communications milestones and events and ensuring mechanisms are in place for efficient flow of information.
- Metric setting
- Depending on budget processes in the context of YOG, all corporate communications related:
- Budget management
- P&B review
- Financial reconciliation
YOG media relations
With the assistance of the IOC Media Relations team, overseeing activities related to media, RHBs and PR:
- Liaison with key RHBs to ensure proactive media servicing around regional stories
- Strategy for IOC newsroom and alignment with OBS
- Media relations strategy for YOG projects including establishing local solutions and oversight of local media relations
- Drafting and execution of crisis communications plan including messaging and scenario planning
- Messaging and PR including interested cities
- Proactive PR around events / milestones and projects such as ticketing, volunteer strategy etc
- Legacy strategy and implementation (in collaboration with the Legacy and Sustainability Communications Manager)
Training, language and IT competences
- University degree or equivalent qualification in communications, journalism or equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience in a communications role.
- Must speak English and French. Knowledge of additional languages would be an advantage.
- Excellent written communication skills in English – written French would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The International Olympic Committee is a not-for-profit independent organisation committed to building a better world through sport. By joining us, you become part of the Olympic Movement. You will have the opportunity to work in an international and flexible environment with people of more than 50 nationalities.