Congress Project Manager
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) is seeking a motivated individual to organize and project manage its biennial Congress which will be held in Delhi, India in November 2018. Candidates should be ready to enter the fast-paced world of hockey and demonstrate the FIH core values of being inclusive, optimistic, progressive and dynamic.
The FIH Congress is the most important gathering of international hockey’s decision-makers, happening over 5 days of meetings and events with almost 400 global participants. It is a combination of formal meetings, workshops, celebrations, and tourist activities. The position will report directly to the FIH Events & Strategy Director.
Responsible for planning and delivery of the 46th FIH Congress – this includes a number of different events within the schedule: Statutory Congress (including elections to the position of Executive Board member), Forum/delegate conference to update all National Associations on the initiatives and projects within hockey, Gala Awards Dinner, Networking Cocktail, Excursions and various meetings and workshops. During on site operations they will be responsible for liaising with the host, managing the internal team as well as external providers and ultimately ensuring the successful delivery against the event objectives.
Work will be on a flexible basis, with less time being spent in the early days to working full-time during the lead-up to the event and onsite for event delivery. Estimated total number of working days is 130. Travel requirement is estimated as two site visits before the event of 5 days each (including travel) and onsite for approximately 16 days to deliver the event.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Activities:
- Responsible for project managing all operational and logistical aspects of the 46th FIH Congress as determined by the FIH Events and Strategy Director and the FIH leadership team
- Ensure the experience for all stakeholders is maximised and objectives are met
- Lead planning meetings internally across all departments at the FIH and build a strong working relationship externally with the Host and technical suppliers
- Work in close collaboration with the FIH People, Governance & Operations Director to ensure that all aspects of FIH governance processes are closely adhered to in the running of the Congress session, including the elections to the FIH Executive Board
- Assist the development of the overall running order and content for the forum/delegate conference
- Ensure budgets and contractual agreements are managed within set parameters
- Where required maintain a bidding process for suppliers and oversee the contractual negotiations when they are awarded
- Work with the FIH marketing and communications team to facilitate implementation of marketing and promotional materials, including branding
- Oversee development of event documentation, procedures and guidelines as required and manage an evaluation and review after the Congress
- Work closely with the FIH commercial team to ensure that all event-related rights resulting from contracts between FIH and its Partners and Suppliers are implemented
Requirements, Education and Experience:
- Relevant project management experience
- Operational planning and delivery of large scale conferences/events, including registration and elections processes
- Minimum 10 years of applicable professional experience in a fast-paced event environment
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Strong negotiation, conflict management and problem solving skills
- Positive, flexible and optimistic approach, able to quickly adapt to the changing nature of work
- Ability to work well as part of the team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure with meticulous attention to detail
- High level of honesty and integrity, discrete and ethical
- Experience managing budgets within defined parameters
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential (other languages would be looked upon favourably)
The position is part time, based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Some travel required.
Start date: 1st December 2017 or TBD, to end date 30th November 2018.
No relocation fees will be offered for this position.
If you think you are the right person for this role, please send CVs via the provided link by 6th October 2017.
The FIH is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted.